Stuffed Bell Peppers
1 Jersey Fresh onion, diced
2 cloves Jersey Fresh garlic, chopped
1 medium Jersey Fresh zucchini, diced
4 Jersey Fresh plum tomatoes, seeded & diced
4 TB olive oil, plus more for drizzling
8 oz ground beef, turkey or chicken (we used beef)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 TB worchestershire
Red pepper flakes, to taste
1 cup cooked rice
1 1/2 cups finely grated cheddar or pepper jack cheese
Jersey Fresh parsley, for garnish
35m prep time / 50m cook time
2. Cut the tops off the peppers and remove and discard the stems, chop the tops and set aside. Scoop out the seed and membrane. Place the peppers cut-side up in a baking dish.
3. Heat 2 TB of olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat, season with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Add the worcestershire. and cook until meat is cooked through about 8 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towel-lined plate.
4. Wipe out the skillet and add 2 TB olive oil. Add the onions and chopped peppers and cook until softened about 3 minutes.
5. Add the garlic and zucchini and cook another minute.
6. Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook until heated through then stir in the meat and rice.
7. Stir in 1 cup of cheese.
9. Fill the peppers with the mixture and top each with each with remaining cheese.
10. Pour a small amount of water into the bottom of the baking dish and drizzle the peppers with olive oil.
11. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
12. Uncover and bake another 15-20 minutes or until peppers are soft and cheese is melted.