Mixed Berry Tart
2 cups all purpose flour
5 oz. sugar
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
1.5 sticks butter
2 tsp almond extract or 1 1/2 tsp lemon oil
1-2 Tbsp ice cold water (if needed)
7 cups of hulled and rinsed Jersey Fresh berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries)
1/4 cup cold water
4 Tbsp cornstarch (mixed into 2 Tbsp very cold water)
1-1 1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp vanilla sugar (optional)
2 cups fresh berries (strawberries should be hulled and sliced in half)
2 Tbsp demerara sugar to sprinkle on top of fruit (optional)
90m prep time / 50m cook time
1. Spray a tart pan with cooking spray. Heat oven to 380 degrees.
2. Put butter, cut in small pieces, sugar, salt, extract or flavoring oil into bowl of food processor and whirl a bit.
3. Add flour and whirl until mixture comes together. You might need to add the ice cold water.
4. Press piece of dough into the bottom and up sides of the pan.
5. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork to minimize puffing.
6. Chill the crust for 30 minutes.
7. Slide the tart crust into the hot oven, lower temp to 375 degrees and bake until golden, 25-35 mins.
8. Cool completely before filling.
1. In non-reactive pan, add half of the 7 cups of berries and barely 1/4 cup water.
2. Heat until they barely begin to pop.
3. Add the sugar, stir and cook for another minute or two.
4. Add remaining berries, bring back to a simmer.
5. Stir the cornstarch in the water and pour into the simmering berries, stirring as you add.
6. Bring back to a simmer. Cook for another minuite or two and turn off the heat.
7. Cover and cool completely.
8. When cool, check for desired sweetness. The berry juice should be thick. If it's not, pour off the juice and heat again, adding more cornstarch mixed with water.
9. Assemble tart by pouring the filling in tart crust and spreading. Arrange the clean, prepared raw fruit on top and sprinkle with sugar if you like.
10. Serve immediately or keep the tart chilled.