Jersey Blueberry BBQ Sauce (with Pulled Pork & Creamy Chipotle Coleslaw)
4 cups Jersey Fresh blueberries
¼ cup Jersey Fresh red onion, chopped
4 cloves Jersey Fresh garlic, chopped
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup plus 2 TB ketchup
¼ cup plus 2 TB sugar
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Kosher salt
5m prep time / 20-25m cook time
2. Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pan over medium high heat.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
5. Using a blender, food processor or an immersion blender, blend until completely smooth.
Brush over grilled ribs, pork or chicken. We prepared it with pulled pork and creamy chipotle coleslaw (see below for recipes).
INSTANT POT PULLED PORK
2 TB brown sugar, packed
3 tsp paprika
3 tsp garlic powder
3 tsp onion powder
1 ½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp pepper
¾ tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
4.5 lbs boneless pork butt, cut into 3-4 inch cubes
4 TB olive oil
1/3 cup + 2TB apple cider cinegar
2.5 Cups Blueberry Barbecue Sauce, divided
2 Cups chicken broth, divided
1. In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, cumin, and cayenne.
2. Season the cubed pork with the spice mixture.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, 1 ½ cups of the barbecue sauce and 1 ½ cups of the broth.
4. Turn your instant pot to the sauté setting. Heat the olive oil.
5. Add 1/3 of the cubed pork and sauté for 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove the browned pork to a plate and repeat with the remaining cubed pork.
6. Turn the instant pot off. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of broth and deglaze the bottom of the pot.
7. Add the meat and barbecue sauce mixture to the instant pot.
8. Close the lid and set to sealing. Cook on manual high pressure for 40 minutes.
9. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes then do a quick release.
10. Remove the meat to a cutting board. Cut off access fat and shred the meat. Stir in the remaining cup of bbq sauce plus some of the cooking liquid (1/4 – 1/2 cup)
11. Serve on buns with Creamy Chipotle Coleslaw, optional (below).
CREAMY CHIPOTLE COLESLAW
½ small head of Jersey Fresh cabbage, shredded
1 large Jersey Fresh carrot, shredded
3 Jersey Fresh scallions, sliced
2/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, diced
1 tsp adobo sauce
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground coriander
1. In a small bowl add the mayo, lime juice, vinegar, chipotle, sugar, salt and pepper and mix until combined.
2. In a large bowl add the cabbage, carrots and green onions and sauce mixture and mix until combined.
3. Cover and chill until ready to serve.