Honey Rum Apple Crumble
2 pounds Jersey Fresh Honeycrisp apples
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 tablespoons Jersey Fresh honey
2 tablespoons dark rum
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
⅓ cup light brown sugar
⅓ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon kosher salt
25m prep time / 30m cook time
2. Peel apples then cut into slices just over 1/4-inch thick, discarding core.
3. Melt butter for filling in large pan over medium heat, then add honey and rum, stirring to combine. Once mixture begins to bubble and thicken, cook for another minute, stirring frequently. Add apple slices and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften.
4. Use a slotted spoon to transfer apples to a bowl, leaving all juice in pan. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. As sauce thickens and begins to foam, lower heat as necessary so it does not become dark. Reduce to two tablespoons, stir into apples, and divide filling among ramekins or baking dishes.
5. Melt butter for topping and let cool.
6. Combine all dry topping ingredients in a bowl. Drizzle butter and incorporate thoroughly yet gently using a fork. Use hands to form crumbs by gently squeezing topping. Scatter crumbs over apples.
7. Bake until filling bubbles around edges and topping turns golden, about 30 minutes. Remove apple crumbles from baking sheet and let cool for at least 20 minutes. Serve warm.