2 Cups Sugar
3 Cups Flour
2 Tsp. Baking Soda
1 Tsp. Cinnamon
2 Tsp. Nutmeg
2 Large Jersey Fresh Eggs
1 Tsp. Vanilla
1 Tsp. Salt
1 Cup Oil
1 Cup Walnuts
½ Cup Dried Cranberries (optional)
85m prep time / 90m cook time
2. Peel and slice apples (or peaches); mix with sugar, let stand 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg into large bowl – set aside.
4. Lightly whisk eggs, add vanilla and salt – let rest for 5 minutes.
5. Pour egg mixture into apples mixture – stir to blend. Add resulting mixture to flour mixture, add oil and walnuts (and cranberries, if desired) and blend well, scraping the bottom of the bowl often.
6. Pour into prepared tube pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 hours. Cool in pan.
This was traditionally served plain in our house, but it can be topped with confectioner’s sugar or your favorite vanilla glaze. Can be frozen or kept at room temperature for a week or more if tightly wrapped.