Apple Turkey Meatballs
1 lb ground turkey
¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
2 cloves Jersey Fresh garlic, minced
4 Jersey Fresh scallions, chopped, divided
3/4 cup Jersey Fresh Cortland apple, peeled & grated
1 egg, whisked
1/4 cup apple butter
3/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp Jersey Fresh thyme Leaves, chopped
1 tsp Kosher salt
¾ cup Jersey Fresh apple cider
½ cup apple butter
1 TB apple cider vinegar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 sprigs Jersey Fresh thyme
Pinch black pepper
2. Make the meatballs: In a large bowl, combine 2 chopped scallions (reserving the other 2 for garnish) with all of the other meatball ingredients. Mix until combined
3. Roll the mixture into golf ball-sized meatballs. If the mixture is too wet, add more breadcrumbs. Transfer meatballs to prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through
5. While meatballs are cooking, make the glaze: In a large skillet, add the cider and apple butter. Whisk to combine. Add the vinegar, cinnamon, ginger, dijon, cayenne, salt & pepper. Whisk to combine. Add the sprigs of thyme.
6. Bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, whisking occasionally, for 6 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened.
7. Reduce heat to low and add the meatballs. Gently coat the meatballs with the glaze
8. Transfer the meatballs to a serving dish and top with 2 remaining chopped scallions
SERVING OPTIONS: These can be served over mashed potatoes or buttered noodles. They can also be made smaller and served as cocktail meatballs with toothpicks.